The largest monastery of Andros is the monastery of Zoodochou Pigi or Agia, as the locals call it.
It is unknown when it was built. An unconfirmed information claims that in Byzantine times it was a School and became a monastery in 842 by Empress Theodora. It is also reported that many noble Andriots were not educated in his school, which gave many priests, bishops and patriarchs.
The monastery is mentioned, for the first time in a document of 1400, while in its church there is an icon dating back to 1325. It was renovated during the 16th century and the 20th, and its original Byzantine form was altered.
In 1928 the monastery was transformed into a nunnery and today only one old woman lives in it.
The church of the monastery is of Byzantine style with a wood-carved iconostasis and its painting decoration dates back to the post-Byzantine period. Still, there are 14th and 16th century icons. In the monastery there is a rich library with books and manuscripts, a museum with sacred vestments and utensils, and a small collection of prehistoric tools.
The Monastery celebrates the first Friday after Easter Sunday.
Where it is located: Between Gavrio and Batsi.
How to get there: Following the road from Gavrio to Batsi, after Kypri beach and just before Agios Kyprianos, turn left and follow the uphill road that will lead you outside the monastery. From Gavrio and Batsi the distance is 7 km, from Chora 33 km.
Contact: 22820 72459
The monastery of Pavaxravrou is the most beautiful Byzantine monastery of Andros. It is located on the slope of Mount Gerakones at a height of 230 m.
According to the code of the Monastery, the Monastery was built by the emperor Nikiforos Phokas in 963-969, during the period of his campaign against the Arabs of Crete (961 AD).
It is a church with a cruciform dome, the katholikon of which is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary is kept in the monastery and is the work of the Evangelist Luke.
The holy icon was found by two monks, who saw every night a strong light in the place where the monastery is today.
The two ascetics found the image in a cave and after worshiping it they took it to their cell. At night, however, the image returned to the cave. This has happened many times.
The monks, enlightened by the Virgin Mary, left their hermitages, settled near the cave and at the suggestion of Panachrantos built their first Temple on the site where the Monastery is today.
In the monastery is kept the Cross of Agios Panteleimon. In the library you will see ancient codes, patriarchal sigils, a wood-carved iconostasis, while its doors are framed by carved marble walls. It is noted that "Papoulakos" was imprisoned in this monastery.
Today the cells of the monastery are empty, except for the few visitors that are hosted. There you will meet Father Evdokimos, a lover of good company, ready to discuss the worldly and the heavenly, while if you visit the one hour meal you may enjoy his wonderful spaghetti.
The access is easier from the village 'Exo Vouni.
Abbot of the Monastery, is the Most Venerable Archimandrite Mr. EVDOKIMOS FRAGOULAKIS, who has served in the Monastery since 1957. From the monastery you will enjoy a wonderful view of the valley of Messaria and the surrounding villages.
The Monastery celebrates the 27th of July of Ag. Panteleimon and on the 15th of August the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
Where it is located: Near Chora, just above the village of Falika.
How to get there: Following the road from the village of Falika. Also following the road Chora - Korthiou and turning towards the village Vouni. There is sufficient signage. From Chora the distance is 4 km and from Korthi 13 km.
Contact: 22820 51090
The Holy Monastery of Agia Marina with the holy water and the miraculous icon of Agia is located in the area of the Colonies, north of Chora.
In recent years, it has been renovated with the tireless efforts of its Abbot, Father Kyprianou.
The Monastery celebrates on July 17 in memory of the Saint.
HISTORY OF THE MONASTERY OF AGIA MARINA ANDROS
The white dove Monastery of Agia Marina opposite the Apoikia of Andros where the famous water Sariza comes out, dates from 1,325 AD, when in the area of Litres Agia Marina is miraculously presented to an old ascetic and suggests him to find the "hidden image "of her in a slit in a rock, as she did.
The Emperor Emmanuel II Komnenos helps financially and thus the Holy Monastery of Agia Marina Andros is founded.
During the 16th century, the Monastery was burned three times during pirate raids, as a result of which it lost its old glory and reached 1743 in perfect decline with only five elderly monks.
Then Agia Marina intervenes again and with a new miracle brings to the Monastery the Hieromonk Sophronios, who remains under constant miracles and visions and selling his property in the Peloponnese renovates the Monastery and turns it into a nunnery in 1746 AD. Then many noblewomen of Andros dress the Angelic Figure with the result that the number of nuns reaches one hundred, at a time when the Genos was being enlightened from end to end by the fiery sermon of Patros-Kosmas of Etolos!
The glamor of the Orthodox Holy Monastery of Agia Marina, but also the famous handicrafts of its silversmithing, engraving and silk workshops, then spread its fame everywhere!
Σ.Σ. In the same Monastery there is another miraculous icon, of the Virgin Mary, in which miraculously dry branches of lilies bloom, during the period of the 15th of August! The white lilies can be counted and touched even by the most skeptical.
A similar miracle happens in an icon-mural of the Virgin Mary in the Monastery of Agios Nikolaos, in Andros!
Where it is located: North of Chora, at a distance of 4 km, in the area of the Colonies.
How to get there: Following the road from Chora to Apoikia, turn left at the junction that leads to the villages of Ypsilou and Strapourgies. Then you will take the road to the right, towards the monastery. There is sufficient signage.
Contact: 22820 24074
The centuries-old Holy Monastery of Agios Nikolaos en Vounenoi is located on the slope of the mountain at Ores, just after Apoikia, north of Chora. From here you can admire the beautiful view of the Achla valley. It was built in the 16th century while in 1760 repairs were made. It is a building complex of excellent architecture, excellently maintained. It is walled with high walls and the katholikon of the monastery is cruciform, biconcave, with a narthex and a dome. Many monks once lived here.
The fragrant icon of Panagia ton Vlacherna is also kept in the monastery.
According to the oligraphic history, “the holy icon of the Virgin Mary was offered as a gift from the eponymous Holy Temple of the Most Holy Theotokos of the Vlachs of Constantinople to the Fathers of Vlach-Sarai, Metochi of the Holy Monastery of Ag. Nikolaou Androu in Constantinople.
The Fathers of the Vlach-Sarai Metochion carried this great relic to the Main Monastery of Agios Nikolaos Andros in the 16th century as a most valuable treasure exemplified throughout the centuries to the present day. they declare the eternal presence and fairy tale and providence and ineffable love of Our Lady to the wintering in various ways and fattening children of us today sinners and disobedient Christians, reverently leaning on the offspring of the soul of man and his soul.
The monastery has an ecclesiastical relic and preserves the holy Cara of Agios Nikolaos in Vounenois, also relics of saints and works of ecclesiastical art, treasures.
See in the church the wood-carved iconostasis, the despotic throne, traces of frescoes and in the middle of the century the large icon of Agios Nikolaos, embroidered with silk and hair from the hair of the nun Leontia.
The Monastery celebrates on May 9, December 6, July 20.
Where it is located: North of the village of Apoikia and before the village of Vourkoti, at a distance of 10 km from Chora and 25 km from Batsi.
How to get there: Following the road from Chora to Apoikia, after the village of Apoikia and before Vourkoti turn right. There is sufficient signage.
Contact: 22820 22190
Mobirise website creator - Find more